By Darla Shelden, City Sentinel Reporter —
OKLAHOMA CITY — The Oklahoma Historical Society State Historic Preservation Office (OKSHPO) has announced eight new National Register of Historic Places listings for Oklahoma. The National Register of Historic Places is the nation’s official list of properties significant in our past.
The list includes the Bridgeport Bridge, located at North U.S. Highway 281 over the South Canadian River in Caddo County. The bridge is comprised of a series of 38 identical standard camelback pony truss spans, erected over concrete piers sitting on pneumatic foundations.
Completed in 1933 and spanning 3,944 feet, it was Oklahoma’s longest bridge, the longest toll-free crossing on U.S. Highway 66, and the longest example of its type in the United States. The bridge was previously listed as a contributing resource to the National Register of Historic Places as the Bridgeport Hill–Hydro Route 66 Segment (NRIS #04000129), but is now individually listed at the national level of significance with a period of significance of 1933 to 1962 for Transportation and Engineering.
The Young Cemetery, located off Seven Sisters Hills Road near U.S. Highway 177 in rural Carter County, is listed in the National Registry at the local level of significance under Criterion A for Exploration/Settlement and Ethnic Heritage: Native American.
The site is significant as the final resting place of those who settled in and developed the no longer extant community of Young, Indian Territory, and their descendants. It is the only remaining evidence of this once-bustling community.
The Young family, who established the town and the cemetery, was of Chickasaw descent and many interred there are of Chickasaw heritage. The Young Cemetery is still used by their descendants today.
The Alcorn-Pickrel House located at 200 N. 10th Street in Ponca City, Kay County, is listed at the local level of significance for its Prairie School architectural style. John S. Alcorn, vice president of E. W. Marland’s oil company, hired Elmer Boillot to design a modern home.
Influenced by the Prairie School style, Boillot designed a two-story home on the lot. The period of significance begins with the construction of the home in 1918 and coincides with the oil boom in the Ponca City area.
The Hotel Lowrey located at 301 Dewey Ave. in Poteau, LeFlore County, on the town’s main commercial thoroughfare, is locally significant in the area of Commerce with a period of significance of 1922, when the building was built, to 1965, when the hotel closed and became college housing. It was Poteau’s largest commercial office and retail building, and it remains the town’s largest building of the Classical Revival style.
The Schultz/Neal Stone Barn, located off U.S. Highway 177/OK 15 in the Red Rock vicinity of rural Noble County, is listed at the local level of significance for Architecture with a period of significance of 1941, the year construction was completed, to 1954, when repairs following a 1951 fire are documented to have been completed.
By all accounts, the Schultz/Neal Stone Barn is “the largest free-standing rock barn” in Oklahoma and is a prominent local landmark in Noble County.
The McClean Family Residence located at 141 NE 26th Street in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma County, is listed at the local level of significance for Architecture. Built in 1911, the home is an outstanding local example of Prairie School architecture in what was originally the rural outskirts of northeast Oklahoma City.
Members of the McClean family occupied the home for almost 80 years. The historic use of the building as a single-family home is unique in an area of Oklahoma City otherwise characterized by commercial warehouses, offices, oil wells and the Oklahoma State Capitol Complex. The McClean Family Residence recalls the early, rural history of northeast Oklahoma City.
The Tulsa Boys’ Home Historic District, bordered by East Eighth Street, South Quincy Avenue, East Seventh Street, and South Rockford Avenue in Tulsa, in Tulsa County, is listed at the local level of significance for Social History.
The Tulsa Boys’ Home Historic District was the first and only institutional childcare facility for homeless and troubled boys aged 10 to 16, in Tulsa. It is one of the oldest continually operated institutional childcare facilities in the city. Founded in 1918, the home began with five boys in a wood-frame house. In 1927 the Tulsa Boys’ Home purchased a former girls’ home at the listed site, increasing its capacity to 50 boys. It remained at this location for the next 50 years.
The current complex was designed by Tulsa architect Joseph Koberling and constructed from 1949 to 1963 with five larger, more modern institutional buildings. Four of the five buildings were dormitories, and one building housed administrative and social services. The period of significance begins in 1949 with the initial construction of the existing buildings and ends in 1978 when the Tulsa Boys’ Home relocated to Sand Springs.
The First United Methodist Church at 500 S. Johnstone Ave. in Bartlesville, in Washington County, is listed at the local level of significance for Architecture as a major example of the architectural evolution of religious facilities during the 20th century. The First United Methodist Church represents four construction phases that occurred over a 60-year period between 1927 and 1987. Each wing represents its era of construction through architectural style.
The 1954 Modern Movement A-frame sanctuary operates as the central component of the church complex. Secondary complex elements include the 1927 education wing, 1956 Sneed Chapel, and the 1987 administration and education wing addition.
The State Historic Preservation Office is a division of the Oklahoma Historical Society. The mission of the Oklahoma Historical Society is to collect, preserve and share the history and culture of the state of Oklahoma and its people.
For more information about the Oklahoma Historical Society, visit OKHistory.org.