Special to The City Sentinel
First Baptist Church of Oklahoma City will host Grammy and Dove award-winning singer, Cynthia Clawson, for two Easter week musical celebrations, said co-musical minister Bruce Greer.
A Good Friday service on April 6 at 7 p.m. will consist of a Tenebrae, or service of darkness, with homilies and songs centering around the seven last words of Christ. The service will be held in the church sanctuary.
Easter Sunday will begin with an all-church breakfast at 9:00 a.m. The meal is free, and donations are accepted. There will be no Bible study classes that day. In an Easter celebration service at 10:30 a.m., the Sanctuary Choir will present the musical, “I Claim the Cross,” written by Bruce Greer, FBCOKC’s minister of music. Greer will play the piano, and his wife and co-minister of music, Kim Greer, will direct the choir. The program will include solo selections by Ms. Clawson, as well as narration provided by Ragan Courtney, Clawson’s husband, who is also a well-known writer. The service will be in the church sanctuary at 1201 N Robinson in downtown Oklahoma City.
Both events are free, and all are welcome to attend. For more information, call the church office at 405-232-4255. Childcare for children under age 5 is available by reservation for the Friday night service. Preschool childcare is available each Sunday without reservation. Call the church office for details.
First Baptist Church, located in the MidTown district, serves Oklahoma City through missions, ministry and educational programs. Founded in 1889, FBCOKC’s legacy includes “offspring” of more than 100 churches and ministries throughout the state. Long known as the Lighthouse on the Corner, First Baptist Church remains committed to ministry by providing ongoing music and education activities for all ages, as well as local, national and global missions opportunities. (www.fbcokc.org)
Grammy award-winning vocalist to join First Baptist OKC for Easter week services
More from Arts & EntertainmentMore posts in Arts & Entertainment »
- August Art at Paseo’s First Friday Gallery Walk (August 6)
- OKC Zoo offers free general admission on select weekday afternoons In August
- Global Performance Artists come to Armstrong Auditorium in Edmond (Oklahoma) for 2021-2022 Season
- Goodwill Industries of Central Oklahoma to host Fashion Show for 85th anniversary
- OLLI at OSU to host Prelude to Justice: Art, Reform and the Work of Sister Helen Prejean
More from FaithMore posts in Faith »
- Brightmusic returns to Live Concerts with ‘Beethoven and Friends’ – Summer Festival concert series mixes old and newBrightmusic returns to Live Concerts with ‘Beethoven and Friends’ – Summer Festival concert series mixes old and new
- Cristo Rey Oklahoma City to host an evening of Royals, Judy Love will receive Legacy Award
- With inspirations from Kashmir and Oklahoma, from Viktor Frankl and her family, Nyla Khan creates
- Prominent Black OU Professor says ‘Race is a Myth’
- Uniting the World in Faith — Jehovah’s Witnesses Hold Global Virtual Event in 240 Lands, 500+ LanguagesUniting the World in Faith — Jehovah’s Witnesses Hold Global Virtual Event in 240 Lands, 500+ Languages